Tuesday, May 5, 2009

May 4th is Officially Bike to Work Day!

It is! Really, I swear. Just look on any calendar.

Ok. It's a day that I just made up for me. Rightfully so, because it was the day I could officially bike to work! And since I am the most important person I know then it's an official day.

The weather was great for it. Slight breeze off the lake. Sun just rising over the horizon. No head wind to speak of. I was as giddy as a school girl...till I hit the first pot hole! Did you know that a lake front bike/run/walk path could have potholes the size of a small pond? I was unaware of this fact! Talk about an unexpected dance with the pavement! It made the ride interesting. Not unenjoyable! Just interesting. I sure do hope that the city of Chicago gets right on fixing those potholes. Though I will not hold my breath because I have been driving over 100 a day for 3 months.

Thank god for the invention of not so figure flattering over padded bike shorts. While they may not be the latest en vogue fashion, they sure do make taking all the bumps much easier. And since I took it upon myself to ride to work, to my errands downtown, home for a minute, back to work and then finally back home for the evening, the above shorts would have made the ride much more comfortable, had I decided to wear them! I thought my tri shorts (only slightly padded) would be sufficient enough to ride around in all day. Apparently my butt is not thick enough to log around 30+ miles in something that thin (yet). I say 'yet' because callouses can be built...

Thank you God for the wonderful weather in which I can now begin biking to work more frequently in. Thank you for an ample and strong behind to sit on and pedal my bike efficantly. Thank you for creating a person to create the very padded shorts so that my strong, muscular not so padded behind can take long boughts of sitting and bumping along on the city streets and lake front path of Chicago! To many more days of biking to work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment