Monday, May 11, 2009

Not Quite 30

As I read that title I realize there is a double meaning to that...not quite 30 years old (I will be soon) Not quite 30 miles...which is what I really mean. Last Monday was officially bike to work day as deemed by me. And to celebrate the occasion I rode around 30+ miles. Good times!

Today, I was not so ambitious. First, let me address the weather here in Chicago. Cold wind...again...boo. Second, my legs...fried...in a good way...all the usual suspects are sore...butt, hamstrings, quads and all the little muscles running from the hip joint all the way to the knee joint.

I still had it in me to ride. Just not to work, at 5am in the morning. I waited till 4pm in the afternoon. Much better. Less wind. Legs had some quality time with the foam roll already. I must say that it was a great decision. I have on the super padded bike shorts today so my butt is not sore! I am only doing about 16 miles. And I can feel that summer is coming to the city. Seeing all the little things that go up along the lake front for summer going up. The only thing left are the nets that go up on the North Avenue Beach for beach volley ball. At that point I will stop riding the lake front path home. Too many people to dodge. I will take my chances with the cars. At least the majority of cars on the road are traveling in a straight line and do not step right in front of your moving tires. Till that time comes I will continue to enjoy my rides home on the path. The wind carries the smell of the flowers in the trees along the path (Names escape me. Just know that they smell heavenly!) The gently lapping of the waves from the lake just to the east of you as pedal closer along the beach. Even the din of the cars whizzing past farther off to the west of you is peaceful while riding along. I will still be able to enjoy these simple pleasures early in the morning all summer. Most people do not rise with the sun ;) and then ride along the lake to get to work. There are those of us who do. And I am sure they enjoy it as much as I do!

Happy riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment